How 6 Businesses Managed a Coronavirus Pivot
Last week, we profiled the business impact that coronavirus is having on 6 of our Trends community members. The mini case studies covered the marketing, events, cleaning, beauty, manufacturing, and newsletters industries.
This week, we followed up with 6 more readers across completely different industries to see how their businesses are coping:
- Restaurant: Fusian — a fast-casual sushi chain based in Ohio — has pivoted to grocery delivery amidst mandatory restaurant closures.
- Furniture: Deskmate — a London-based portable standing desk company — is sourcing new suppliers to meet rising demand for its product as people are forced to WFH.
- Printing: Everest Direct Mail and Marketing — a print shop that offers integrated direct mail marketing services — is trimming operational expenses, shifting future investments, and “collaborating down the line” with suppliers to help weather the storm.
- Catering: Topnotch Events — a catering and staffing company based in New York City — has seen business completely dry up and decided to make a hard coronavirus pivot towards a longtime passion: teaching theatre to kids.
- Pets: Pets in the City — a pet care company based in West Los Angeles — is adjusting to social distancing measures by experimenting with virtual dog training and digital content.
- Microbrewery: Gloucester Brewing Company — a small-town microbrewery specializing in ales — closed their taproom and switched to crowler and growler fill.
10 Minute Read
* * *
One Restaurateur Has a Pitch: To Stay Afloat, Become a Grocer
The business: Fusian, a fast-casual sushi chain based in Ohio
Available exclusively to Trends subscribers
Understand upcoming market trends, receive our premium weekly report, access our database of research, and network with the smartest people we know
7 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!
Already a member? Log In.
Hear from our members:
Co-Founder / Udemy
Founder / Author of "Free PR"
Co-Founder / Vungle
What do you get with Trends:
The most powerful business peer group
Connect with thousands of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, executives and insiders. Collectively, Trends members have companies with tens of billions in revenue.
They say you’re the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with. Are you surrounding yourself with the right people? You are now.
Weekly Case Studies
Curated stories from the business world
Dive into the success stories of companies around the world and discover how they achieved.
In-depth trends analysis & monitoring
Discover what’s trending before it goes viral
Don’t press snooze on this opportunity: sleep supplements
The signal: As meditation becomes mainstream, people may be surprised to find that searches for sleep apps double their meditation counterpart. As people invest in getting a better night’s rest, there’s opportunity abound, including physical products like weighted blankets or premium PJs, supplements, popular insomnia drugs having their patents expire, companies paying their employees to sleep better, marketing for sleep specialists, or online sleep education (ex: sleep apnea test has 27k searches per month).
The alternative milk market is getting frothy
The signal: As more people wave goodbye to dairy, alternative milk is slowly taking over; it has already cornered 13% of the market. With the exception of soy milk, all of the alt-milks have been on the up, with some of the newer entrants including hemp milk and pea milk. Other alt-products are getting attention, including cashew cheese, with 18100 searches per month.
Capitalizing on the Airpods market, making more money than Shopify
The signal: Since killing the headphone jack, Apple has graced the world with AirPods, which did an estimated 60m units in 2019. That means AirPods alone are bringing in approx ~$10b in revenue, more than Twitter, Shopify, or Spotify, to name a few popular tech giants. Opportunity lies in Apple opening up SiriOS or the wave of iPhone accessories (including cases, cleaning kits, hooks, and keychains) which have shown “hockey stick” growth alongside their hardware predecessor.
Leading experts share their knowledge
Attend exclusive lectures from experts in the industry and stay in the know
7 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!