Lessons from Japan: 5 Trends You Can Trade On
This is the first in a series of articles in which we investigate trends in different parts of the world, show how companies are responding to those trends, and provide lessons you can apply to your business.
Anyone lucky enough to have traveled to Japan will know why we start our journey with this fascinating Asian island. In this piece, we’ll cover 5 key characteristics of the country that you can learn from:
- Convenient, healthy food: We extract learnings from a culture that has mastered healthy eating and how to apply impeccable food hygiene standards in a post-COVID world hyper-focused on food safety.
- J-Wellness: We uncover opportunities to investigate societal tendencies based on physical and mental wellness and bring them to the West.
- Automation-based experiences: We show how one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world has integrated robots into everyday life and which automated experiences might take off elsewhere.
- Party-for-one culture: As single-occupant household rates continue to rise around the world, Japan serves as a model of what a “super solo” society of the future could look like.
- And our favorite recession-proof industry… pets: Even though there are relatively few pet owners in Japan, they are notorious for pampering their pooches. There are opportunities for entrepreneurs to capitalize in countries where pet owners are in the majority.
What Makes Japan Different
Available exclusively to Trends subscribers
Understand upcoming market trends, receive our premium weekly report, access our database of research, and network with the smartest people we know
14 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!
Already a member? Log In.
Hear from our members:
Co-Founder / Udemy
Founder / Author of "Free PR"
Co-Founder / Vungle
What do you get with Trends:
The most powerful business peer group
Connect with thousands of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, executives and insiders. Collectively, Trends members have companies with tens of billions in revenue.
They say you’re the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with. Are you surrounding yourself with the right people? You are now.
Weekly Case Studies
Curated stories from the business world
Dive into the success stories of companies around the world and discover how they achieved.
In-depth trends analysis & monitoring
Discover what’s trending before it goes viral
Don’t press snooze on this opportunity: sleep supplements
The signal: As meditation becomes mainstream, people may be surprised to find that searches for sleep apps double their meditation counterpart. As people invest in getting a better night’s rest, there’s opportunity abound, including physical products like weighted blankets or premium PJs, supplements, popular insomnia drugs having their patents expire, companies paying their employees to sleep better, marketing for sleep specialists, or online sleep education (ex: sleep apnea test has 27k searches per month).
The alternative milk market is getting frothy
The signal: As more people wave goodbye to dairy, alternative milk is slowly taking over; it has already cornered 13% of the market. With the exception of soy milk, all of the alt-milks have been on the up, with some of the newer entrants including hemp milk and pea milk. Other alt-products are getting attention, including cashew cheese, with 18100 searches per month.
Capitalizing on the Airpods market, making more money than Shopify
The signal: Since killing the headphone jack, Apple has graced the world with AirPods, which did an estimated 60m units in 2019. That means AirPods alone are bringing in approx ~$10b in revenue, more than Twitter, Shopify, or Spotify, to name a few popular tech giants. Opportunity lies in Apple opening up SiriOS or the wave of iPhone accessories (including cases, cleaning kits, hooks, and keychains) which have shown “hockey stick” growth alongside their hardware predecessor.
Leading experts share their knowledge
Attend exclusive lectures from experts in the industry and stay in the know
14 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!