Lessons to Grow Your Publication From the Ground Up
This week’s research comes courtesy of Trendster Steph Smith, whose new e-book “Doing Content Right” is a comprehensive guide to building and scaling your own publication. She’ll teach you how to define your niche, decide what to write for whom, test and scale distribution platforms, and grow a loyal audience — through 200+ pages of insights and dozens of exercises to help you learn.
The following report, adapted from her book, represents just a tiny sliver of her expertise. To learn more, buy “Doing Content Right” here. Use the code trends20 for 20% off.
- It’s not too late to get started. Why start another publication in 2020, when there’s more information out there than ever? Simple: If you can identify a clear advantage, you can win.
- Understand your monopoly. You must solve a new problem or be better (even just a little bit better) at solving an existing one.
- Paid or free? Before deciding, understand your value proposition. If you plan to charge, you need to be a painkiller — not a vitamin.
- Either way, you’re probably not thinking enough about distribution. People think, “If I build it, they will come.” Quite the opposite. The CODES framework will teach you how to think through the pros and cons of different channels, and incorporate them into your strategy over time.
- SEO can be the most valuable tool in your toolbox. It takes some upfront investment of time or money, but it is often the most overlooked channel that leads to sustainable growth over the long run.
Available exclusively to Trends subscribers
Understand upcoming market trends, receive our premium weekly report, access our database of research, and network with the smartest people we know
14 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!
Already a member? Log In.
Hear from our members:
Co-Founder / Udemy
Founder / Author of "Free PR"
Co-Founder / Vungle
What do you get with Trends:
The most powerful business peer group
Connect with thousands of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, executives and insiders. Collectively, Trends members have companies with tens of billions in revenue.
They say you’re the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with. Are you surrounding yourself with the right people? You are now.
Weekly Case Studies
Curated stories from the business world
Dive into the success stories of companies around the world and discover how they achieved.
In-depth trends analysis & monitoring
Discover what’s trending before it goes viral
Don’t press snooze on this opportunity: sleep supplements
The signal: As meditation becomes mainstream, people may be surprised to find that searches for sleep apps double their meditation counterpart. As people invest in getting a better night’s rest, there’s opportunity abound, including physical products like weighted blankets or premium PJs, supplements, popular insomnia drugs having their patents expire, companies paying their employees to sleep better, marketing for sleep specialists, or online sleep education (ex: sleep apnea test has 27k searches per month).
The alternative milk market is getting frothy
The signal: As more people wave goodbye to dairy, alternative milk is slowly taking over; it has already cornered 13% of the market. With the exception of soy milk, all of the alt-milks have been on the up, with some of the newer entrants including hemp milk and pea milk. Other alt-products are getting attention, including cashew cheese, with 18100 searches per month.
Capitalizing on the Airpods market, making more money than Shopify
The signal: Since killing the headphone jack, Apple has graced the world with AirPods, which did an estimated 60m units in 2019. That means AirPods alone are bringing in approx ~$10b in revenue, more than Twitter, Shopify, or Spotify, to name a few popular tech giants. Opportunity lies in Apple opening up SiriOS or the wave of iPhone accessories (including cases, cleaning kits, hooks, and keychains) which have shown “hockey stick” growth alongside their hardware predecessor.
Leading experts share their knowledge
Attend exclusive lectures from experts in the industry and stay in the know
14 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!