Let’s Talk About Sex(tech)
Sexual wellness is an underfunded industry that is set to explode as sexual taboos continue to lift.
Sextech — which has evolved from a male-centric vice industry to a female-centric wellness business — is here to enhance everything from pleasure to medicine.
- Consumer demand is surging: There were 36m+ connected sextech devices in use globally last year, representing 87% YoY growth.
- The market for connected devices alone is expected to more than double over the next 5 years to reach $9B.
- Sextech goes far beyond toys. It’s set to disrupt all areas of the sexual wellness space, from health to education.
- The wider industry of sexual wellness, which is now worth $62B, is forecast to exceed $125B by 2026.
- The stigma surrounding sex means that investors are still jittery about the space — but sex is a universal human experience, and one of the biggest markets there is.
- The sex-positive movement is driving change and lifting taboos; industry veterans believe we are on the cusp of a surge in funding.
- No clear market leader is producing flawless connected devices, leaving the high-tech industry wide open — both for sextech innovators and entrepreneurs with tech expertise.
- We spoke with a Trendster who is leveraging opportunities in the sexual hygiene and personal care space.
- The US sextech market is still largely offline, leading to attractive ecommerce opportunities.
- Prioritizing security and the digital privacy of users will be key to fulfilling sextech’s potential.
When you first hear the term “sextech,” you probably think of Tinder, VR pornography, or even sex robots. And while you’re not wrong (meet Harmony), that’s also not the full picture.
Available exclusively to Trends subscribers
Understand upcoming market trends, receive our premium weekly report, access our database of research, and network with the smartest people we know
7 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!
Already a member? Log In.
Hear from our members:
Co-Founder / Udemy
Founder / Author of "Free PR"
Co-Founder / Vungle
What do you get with Trends:
The most powerful business peer group
Connect with thousands of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, executives and insiders. Collectively, Trends members have companies with tens of billions in revenue.
They say you’re the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with. Are you surrounding yourself with the right people? You are now.
Weekly Case Studies
Curated stories from the business world
Dive into the success stories of companies around the world and discover how they achieved.
In-depth trends analysis & monitoring
Discover what’s trending before it goes viral
Don’t press snooze on this opportunity: sleep supplements
The signal: As meditation becomes mainstream, people may be surprised to find that searches for sleep apps double their meditation counterpart. As people invest in getting a better night’s rest, there’s opportunity abound, including physical products like weighted blankets or premium PJs, supplements, popular insomnia drugs having their patents expire, companies paying their employees to sleep better, marketing for sleep specialists, or online sleep education (ex: sleep apnea test has 27k searches per month).
The alternative milk market is getting frothy
The signal: As more people wave goodbye to dairy, alternative milk is slowly taking over; it has already cornered 13% of the market. With the exception of soy milk, all of the alt-milks have been on the up, with some of the newer entrants including hemp milk and pea milk. Other alt-products are getting attention, including cashew cheese, with 18100 searches per month.
Capitalizing on the Airpods market, making more money than Shopify
The signal: Since killing the headphone jack, Apple has graced the world with AirPods, which did an estimated 60m units in 2019. That means AirPods alone are bringing in approx ~$10b in revenue, more than Twitter, Shopify, or Spotify, to name a few popular tech giants. Opportunity lies in Apple opening up SiriOS or the wave of iPhone accessories (including cases, cleaning kits, hooks, and keychains) which have shown “hockey stick” growth alongside their hardware predecessor.
Leading experts share their knowledge
Attend exclusive lectures from experts in the industry and stay in the know
7 Day Trial
Join Trends now for $1!